CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Remembering 9-11

I guess one could say we homeschooled this weekend. I know many of you are asking... what are you talking about? Mark asked the kids if they knew what was significant about September 11. None of them had any clue as to why that day had changed America forever. After asking a simple question like, "Why are we at war in Afghanistan?" It dawned on us, Katie was not even one and the boys just 2 when 9-11 occurred, but they've been in school for the past 5 years or more. So why haven't they talked about this event. Why haven't we ever talked about this event. On one perspective I never brought it up or truly educated my children about this because I was worried how they would deal with all of Mark's deployments. I've always down played the seriousness and danger involved in his 'adventures'. I wanted them to have as normal as possible childhood, sheltering them from the harsh reality of the life we live as a military family. That all changed this weekend, Mark sat down with them and explained in detail the events of 9-11. He showed them news coverage, videos and opened up his heart as to why he does what he does for living and how important it is for the future of our Nation. As all of this was going on, I sat quietly in the other room, holding back tears. Tears for those lives that were lost because of 9-11 (past, present and future). And more tears because I could hear in the innocent voices of my children that their hearts and minds were forever changed because of that one event, that much needed conversation between them and their dad. The reality of our lives laid out to them, an open book. I felt the fear, the concern, the worry that they will for always carry with them.

We as a family will never forget, thank you to all who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our Nation's freedom, my freedom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, I know how hard it must have been for Mark to speek and you to hear what has been a driving force in your family life. God bless you all and the men and women who serve to keep the USA free.
Mom M.